In the Galle city tour, we will take you to one of the most beautiful parts of the island, southern Sri Lanka, where you get plenty of opportunities to enjoy the pristine palm-fringed beaches, picturesque countryside, one of the UNESCO world heritage sites/ the Dutch Fort, wildlife and mangrove forests.
- Trip Outline
Galle City Tour, Fortress, Madu River Estuary and Southern Sri Lanka (private)
The Galle one day tour is a very scenic tour that takes place all along the west coast beaches of Sri Lanka. In the Galle city tour, we will take you to one of the most beautiful parts of the island, southern Sri Lanka, where you get plenty of opportunities to enjoy the pristine palm-fringed beaches, picturesque countryside, one of the UNESCO world heritage sites/ the Dutch Fort, endangered sea turtles, mask museum and mangrove forests. All attractions are along the way, and all are exposed within a few hours.
Galle one day tour in a nutshell
7:30 am Hotel Pickups for the Galle one day tour from Colombo.
08:30 am Stop for the Madu River and mangrove forest boat trip.
09.45 am Stop at the Mask Museum and the handicraft centre.
11:00 am Stop at the moonstone mines and workshop.
12:00 pm Stop at Hikkaduwa for Glass bottom boat trip to explore Hikkaduwa marine sanctuary.
12:30 Lunch at a seafood beach restaurant (Optional).
02:00 pm reach the Galle Fort (UNESCO world heritage site), spend 1 hour leisurely while exploring the important places.
04:00 pm finish Galle one day tour and leave for Colombo
5:00 pm Arrive back to the hotel in Colombo.
Activity included in the Galle one day tour
- A visit to sea turtle conservation centre and learn about endangered sea turtle from volunteers.
- Bost tour at Madu River estuary (Ramsar wetland) and see the valuable riverine Faun and flora.
- Tour of the mangrove lagoon.
- Visit the cinnamon island and learn about Cinnamon.
- Visit the ancient Buddhist temple.
- Galls bottom boat trip to see coral reefs a, sea turtles and exotic fish species in the marine sanctuary.
- Visit Hikkaduwa beach.
- Walking tour of Galle Fort (UNESCO world heritage site) and explore the best-preserved dutch built medieval fort in Asia. Walkthrough hundreds of medieval period mansions, churches, temple, galleries, and many more.
Is this trip right for you?
- This compact trip packs a lot in. It’s one of the shortest trips we run in our Original style, perfect for those with very little time and a desire to do the most with it.
- The tour mainly revolves around tourist attractions on the southern and western coast beach areas. In fact, you will be stopping a few times to explore the different places on teh beach.
- Sri Lanka can get extremely hot in the summer. While we aim to do our walking tours when the heat is low (in the morning and evening), remember to keep water on you and to bring a hat, sunscreen, a long-sleeved shirt, and anything else that will protect you from the sun.
- Part of travelling with Seerendipity respecting local cultures and sensibilities. That way you get the most out of your interactions with local people and environments. We visit a number of temples on this trip and to enter them you must have clothes that cover to wrists and below the knee. Please check this article about how to dress, before visiting a temple in Sri Lanka.
- Entrance fees and activity cost for below,
- Madu river estuary exploration boat tour
- Sea turtle conservation project
- Visiting Hikkaduwa beach
- Trip of mask museum
- Guided walking tour of Galle Fort
- Moonstone mines
- Glass bottom boat trip of Hilkaduwa marine sanctuary
- Meeting arrangements at the airport on arrival and departure.
- Entire ground transportation as per the itinerary in a modern air-conditioned, private vehicle.
- English speaking driver/guide (please inquire for other languages).
- All government taxes.
- The expense of personal nature such as gratuities.
- Meals and Drinks.
Book now & pay later
Reserve your tour now and pay when you meet us. Send us the duly filled tour booking form, we will arrange your tour and you can make the payment as you meet us on the first day of the trip.
Best price guaranteed
We guarantee the best price. If you find the same tour package at a cheaper price elsewhere, we do match the price of other tour packages and furthermore add a further 10% discount to it.
No hidden fees and commissions
The price you see on the product pages is the exact same rate that you see in the final stage of the trip booking. There are no hidden fees and taxes such as GST, BTT, service charge, nation-building tax, hotel tax etc.
COVID-19 Special information
- All customer touchpoints are frequently cleaned.
- Social distancing is maintained in vehicles.
- To reduce crowds, all tours are private.
- Masks are required, please bring your own.
- You must fill out a travel information form.
- Temperature checks are mandatory.
- You must book this activity online, as the ticket office is closed.
- Confirmation will be received at the time of booking.
- Pickup and dropoff from more than 140+ hotels on the west coast.
- Luxury, modern, private vehicle for transport.
- Service of a well experienced and knowledgeable tour guide.
Please don't hesitate to contact us for more information on this trip or changes to the tour itinerary.
Time : 7:30 am
COLOMBO / MADU ESTUARY / GALLE / COLOMBO
TURTLE CONSERVATION CENTER
Projects have been launched to conserve the population of turtles that are reaching extinction and such projects are found along the southern coast of Sri Lanka where turtles come ashore to lay their eggs. The turtle digs a hole on the Beach, Lays hers eggs and covers it with sand where it is supposed to, incubate by the heat of the sun. What often happens is, the eggs are dug out by fisherman and sold to people who consume them.
But now the eggs are bought up by the conservation projects and are hatched the Natural way in enclosed areas where the Birds don’t have a chance of picking them up and the babies are let into the sea after two days at night time which offers them a better chance of survival.
Visit a spice garden at Matale where spices and herbs used for Sri Lankan cuisine and medication are grown Spices of Sri Lanka attracted the early seafaring merchants who made the long voyages to purchase this precious merchandise.
MADU GANGA BOAT RIDE
In the global context, the ecological importance of this site has garnered it the ‘Ramsar Wetland’ status in 2003 is the second-largest wetland in Sri Lanka with a colossal 915 hectares with 23 islands inhabited by nearly 300 families. The River Sanctuary is now a Tourist Development Area and a Special Area Managed (SAM) by the Coast Conservation Department. Balapitiya is where the ‘Madu Ganga’ makes its home.
CITY OF GALLE
Galle is one of the ancient seaports of Sri Lanka and was an anchor point in the Silk Route. It was later discovered by the Portuguese where they built a fortress and the Dutch that succeeded them fortified it further. This fortress is today a World Heritage Site.
The fort has a colourful history, and today has a multi-ethnic and multi-religious population. The Sri Lankan government and many Dutch people who still own some of the properties inside the fort are looking at making this one of the modern wonders of the world. The heritage value of the fort has been recognized by the UNESCO and the site has been inscribed as a cultural heritage UNESCO World Heritage Site under criteria iv, for its unique exposition of "an urban ensemble which illustrates the interaction of European architecture and South Asian traditions from the 16th to the 19th centuries.
The Galle Fort, also known as the Dutch Fort or the "Ramparts of Galle", withstood the Boxing Day tsunami which damaged part of coastal area Galle town. It has been since restored. The Galle Fort also houses the elite Amangalla resort hotel, located near the Dutch Reformed Church. It was originally built in 1684 to house the Dutch Governor and his staff. It was then converted into a hotel and named then as the New Oriental Hotel in 1865, which catered to the European passengers travelling between Europe and Galle Port in the 19th century.
Unawatuna Beach is located just south of Galle, the main city in the south and 125km from Colombo, the capital of Sri Lanka. This 4km expanse of palm-fringed sand is said by some to rank amongst the twelve best beaches in the world. This beach is a paradise for all those who yearn to enjoy the silence of the sea and dive deep into the blue waters of the ocean. There is a reef protecting the beach, which makes it perfectly a safe haven for bathing. Other major attractions of this southern beach include shallow waters for swimming and diving. Within its reach, there is an accessible, reasonably well-preserved coral reef that serves as the base for snorkelling.
Hikkaduwa is one of the most popular tourist destinations in southern Sri Lanka. It is 98 km south of Colombo and its beautiful beaches a lot of glamour to this town. It is the place where you can have a glimpse of the fascinating underwater world and see the creatures that inhabit the unfathomable depths of the sea. The famed coral gardens are located here. Just get hold of a glass-bottomed boat or goggles and flippers and plunge into the ocean.
Return journey to your hotel
Pricing NameStartEndGroup (Min-Max)Pricing
What to see on the Galle one day tour?
The Galle one day tour is a very scenic tour that takes place all along the west coast beach. In the Galle city tour, we will take you to one of the most beautiful parts of the island, southern Sri Lanka, where you get plenty of opportunities to enjoy the pristine palm-fringed beaches, picturesque countryside, one of the UNESCO world heritage sites/ the Dutch Fort, wildlife and mangrove forests. All attractions are in southern Sri Lanka, and they will be exposed within a few hours.
You will be travelling in a small private vehicle, reserved exclusively for your group, no intruders and enjoy the privacy at maximum on your Galle city tour. All our vehicles are air-conditioned modern vehicles and driven by well-experienced guides. The package includes entire ground transportations, all entrance fees as per tour itinerary and all taxes. A stop at Hikkaduwa, which is known as seafood heaven on the island, for the lunch break and the guests are free to make purchases depending on their choice and the payment must be done by the guests.
Galle one day tour is a short program that intends to travellers, who have very limited time to explore the island. The Galle city tour is a private program and includes all the important tourist attraction in southern Sri Lanka. pristine beaches such as Hikkaduwa beach, Bentota beach and important historical sites such as Galle fortress is also included in the program.
The boat tour on the Madu estuary is very appealing and very scenic. The boat tour at the most important Ramsar wetland of the island (Madu river estuary), allow the visitors to experience rich fauna and flora of Sri Lankan riverine forest. Visiting the Cinnamon island and witness how the cinnamon peelers work with traditional equipment is a truly memorable experience for most travellers. The chances are abundant to spot many animals and birds during the boat tour. Crocodiles, water monitors, monkeys, and many species of birds can be seen during the boat trip.
In this Galle one day tour, we drive all from Colombo to the capital city of southern Sri Lanka, Galle with our certified guide. There are many interesting places to visit on this 118 km trip, therefore you will stop in infrequent intervals. In Hikkaduwa, you have a fabulous opportunity to feast your taste buds in fresh seafood and many other delicacies. Exploring corals also can be added to the activities, if time permits.
you to explore southern Sri Lanka in a short period of time. The tour starts in Colombo at 07.30 am on every day. The departure transfer also included in the price. The tour lasts around 8 hours and largely depend on the time you required at each location. This is a hop-in hop-out tour with many activities such as beach hopping, exploring historical sites, wildlife exploration etc.