Discover the ruins of the ancient city of Polonnaruwa, the second Kingdom of Sri Lanka, and explore the wondrous Sigiriya Rock fortress as well as Dambulla golden temple. The 2 days trip also includes a wildlife safari in Minneriya national park as well as Pinnawala elephant orphanage.
- Trip Outline
Cultural Triangle Mini Tour (Private)
2 days Sri Lanka trip to discover the ruins of the ancient city of Polonnaruwa, the second Kingdom of Sri Lanka, and explore the wondrous Sigiriya Rock fortress and marvellous 1st Century BC golden temple. This tour will give you an opportunity to dig into the history of these magnificent UNESCO world heritage sites.
First of all, you'll be picked up from your hotel in Colombo, Bentota or Negombo, early morning by our guide and drive to Sigiriya.
You will be exploring the iconic tourist attraction, Sigiriya rock fortress and Dambulla temple today. This place is famous for its toadstool of golden-hued granite, protruding into the searing blue sky from a hot, flat wilderness of scrub-land, which is transformed in the rainy season to a water garden. In the 5th century, King Kashyapa domesticated the Lions Rock, by building a palace atop its summit. Sigiriya commemorates some of the turbulence of Sri Lanka’s history.
You will be visiting Polonnarue after breakfast on day 2. Polonnaruwa is the ancient heart of Sri Lanka and an important royal capital with its well-preserved 12th-century ruins and impressive stone culture. Although nearly 1,000 years old, it is much younger than Anuradhapura - Sri Lanka's first capital - and generally in better repair. The monuments are arranged in a reasonably compact garden setting and their development is easier to follow. Later in the day safari at Minneriya national park.
On the second day of the trip, After Polonnaruwa, proceed to hotel in Colombo, en route visit Pinnawala elephant orphanage.
Is this trip right for you?
- The entire trip is private (transfers and sightseeings), and the only you and your associates take part in the trip.
- This compact trip packs a lot in. It’s one of the shortest trips we run in our Original style, perfect for those with very little time and a desire to do the most with it.
- The tour mainly revolves around Sri Lanka's cultural triangle cities like Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Dambulla. You will be making frequent stops during the trip to visit dozens of temples, monuments, wildlife reserves and many more.
- Sri Lanka can get extremely hot in the summer. While we aim to do our walking tours and city tours when the heat is low (in the morning and evening), there are instances that we have to do them during mid-day, remember to keep water on you and to bring a hat, sunscreen, a long-sleeved shirt, and anything else that will protect you from the sun.
- Part of travelling with Seerendipity respecting local cultures and sensibilities. That way you get the most out of your interactions with local people and environments. We visit a number of temples on this trip and to enter them you must have clothes that cover to wrists and below the knee. Please check this article to know more about rules and regulations pertaining to Sri Lanka temples.
Activities included on the trip
- Touring the important monuments in the cultural triangle of Sri Lanka
- Trekking to the Sigiriya rock fortress
- Visiting Dambulla golden cave temple
- Walking tour of the Polonnaruwa ancient city
- Visiting Tea factory and walking in a tea garden
- Visiting Pinnawala elephant orphanage
- Witness elephant bath
- Walking tour of the spice garden (1 hour)
- Ruins of the Second Kingdom of Sri Lanka
- See the Sigiriya Rock fortress
- Witness the Golden cate temple of Dambulla
- Professional English speaking driver/guide (please inquire for other languages)
- Accommodation on Double sharing basis 4-star hotel
- 1 breakfast and 1 dinner
- Transport in an air-conditioned vehicle with an English speaking driver-guide.
- Entrance fees for the following site.
- Sigiriya rock fortress
- Dambulla cave temple
- Polonnaruwa historical site
- Spice garden
- Safari Minneriya national park
- Meeting arrangements at the airport on arrival and departure.
- All government taxes
- Expenses of personal nature such as tipping, porters, laundry, telephones, etc.
Book now & pay later
Reserve your tour now and pay when you meet us. Send us the duly filled tour booking form, we will arrange your tour and you can make the payment as you meet us on the first day of the trip.
Best price guaranteed
We guarantee the best price. If you find the same tour package at a cheaper price elsewhere, we do match the price of other tour packages and furthermore add a further 10% discount to it.
No hidden fees and commissions
The price you see on the product pages is the exact same rate that you see in the final stage of the trip booking. There are no hidden fees and taxes such as GST, BTT, service charge, nation-building tax, hotel tax etc.
Time : 7:00 am
COLOMBO / DAMBULLA / SIGIRIYA
Meet & greet by “Seerendipity Tours” Representatives and proceed to hotel in Sigiriya.
GOLDEN CAVE TEMPLE DAMBULLA
In the 1st century BC, a king of Anuradhapura fled the city due to a South Indian invasion and took refuge in the caves of Dambulla. On recapturing Anuradhapura after 13 years, the king converted the caves into the monastery and gifted it to the Buddhist monks.
A Prince of the 5th century who committed patricide made the rock of Sigiriya his hideout in order to stay away from his half-brother who sought vengeance. This prince Kasyappa by name, not only fortified his stronghold but also added to it artistic beauty (declared as a world heritage site by UNESCO).
Overnight stay Hotel in Habarana / Sigiriya
Time : 7:00 am
SIGIRIYA / POLONNARUWA / COLOMBO
Breakfast at Hotel and leave for Polonnaruwa historical site, later departure transfer to Colombo,en-route visit,
spice garden and optional safari at Mineriya national park.
Polonnaruwa is the second most historical city of Sri Lanka. It was made the capital of Sri Lanka after Anuradhapura. Ruins in Anuradhapura are much older than the ruins in Polonnaruwa, therefore the ruins in Polonnaruwa are in much better conditions than ruins in Anuradhapura.
SAFARI MINNERIYA NATIONAL PARK
This will include a Safari tour by jeep with a jungle tracker, where you can see animals in the Jungle, including elephants, Bears, Wild boar, Dear, Buffalo, Monkeys and many other animals if you are lucky, leopards too. Return to Habarana.
PINNAWALA ELEPHANT ORPHANAGE
Elephant orphanage spreads over 8 hectares near Kandy and it is home to more than 80 elephants.
Visit a spice garden at Matale where spices and herbs used for Sri Lankan cuisine and medication are grown Spices of Sri Lanka attracted the early seafaring merchants who made the long voyages to purchase this precious merchandise.
..............................End of the tour.............................
- Pricing NameStartEndGroup (Min-Max)Pricing